I’m back with my thoughts from chapter two of The Daily 5: Fostering Literacy Independence in The Elementary Grades. First off, I would like to say that these are entirely my opinions and not that of the 2 Sisters or their publisher Stenhouse. 🙂 Chapter two is all about the “why” of the Daily 5 model. The Sisters list these as their core foundations:
- trusting students
- providing choice
- nurturing community
- creating a sense of urgency
- building stamina
- staying out of students’ way
- What “rings true for you” in this chapter?
- How are your students progressing with picking appropriate books?
- What (if anything) could help improve the processes from this chapter in your classroom?